Nice Ideas

Just letting out a few things I thought I wanted to tell ...

Monday, January 08, 2007

The wrongness of Political correctness

Recently, I have come across quite a number of articles relating to disability, and most of them have tried to remain politically correct. As a result, mentally retarded kids are referred as 'special' kids, physically handicapped children are referred as children who are differently abled, etc.

I find it rather stupid that people take to political correctness to remain just that; politically correct. For instance, on a TV show, a popular host here started off saying handicapped children, only to immediately correct himself with the 'differently abled' cliche.

I mean, what purpose does it serve? Is the correctness aimed at the people with those needs itself or simply to show that I too care? I have been with people who have such handicaps, and let me tell you that such people do not care about such correctness. Rather it makes the condition even worse. As one of my friends put it, people with such handicaps care neither about such fake concern or pitiness. They know to live with it as much as how, say, George Bush has learnt to live without a brain.

My point simply is, you want to say something about people with some kind of handicap, simply say what you want to. Adding such fakely concerns takes the focus out of what you wanted to say and puts it over the silly political correctness..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home