Nice Ideas

Just letting out a few things I thought I wanted to tell ...

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

How many spaces after a period?

Mike in his blog Savvy Tech Tips makes an interesting observation. He argues that unlike the good old days, the grammatical rule that you put in two spaces after a period no longer holds. He cites references from popular magazines which seem to have taken to the trend.

I myself know that it is just one space after a period. But, I was not shocked to learn that the rest of the world has taken to this by surprise. Actually because, I never knew such a rule existed. I always knew that you start with a capitalized alphabet after a period. I got to know about the space rule only after using the Microsoft Word which used to underline my word in red if I did not give a space after the period.

Probably I was taking my usual nap when I was in first grade ;)

1 Comments:

At December 26, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

With a monospaced face, such as with most typewriters until around the 70s, two spaces are needed to maintain easy legibility. But for proportionally spaced type, which is essentially everything else apart from handwriting, the only time you ever hit the space bar more than once is if you are unable to indent with the tab key.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home