Nice Ideas

Just letting out a few things I thought I wanted to tell ...

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Creative Spamming by Blog community on MyBlogLog

Yesterday I received a message from the owner of Blogmemes.be. Don't ask me who the owner is or even what that website is about, or even what language it is written in. The message was pretty interesting. The author wanted me to one of the co-authors of the blog community on MyBlogLog.

For a minute I wondered, why should I be the co-author. Was my blog that impressive enough for the website owner to declare me a co-author in his MBL community. But then, it is after all in the MyBlogLog community. There is no binding. Then, the evil side of my brain warned that it could be a prank. What if the owner was on a rampage adding everyone he stumbled upon at MBL as his co-author. Not likely, but then possible.

At the end of the message, there was a link for me to click in order to accept the invitation. I clicked on it, but landed up merely on the community page. I was still not the co-author. Probably was this because I was still not a member of the community? I looked at the numbers. There were around 400 members of the community. I thought, maybe I should give one another chance. I joined the community, and then went back to the message and clicked the link again. Uh..No difference in where I landed now.

I then slowly scrolled down the messages written by the other community members.There were several messages. Just quoting one of them:

Looks like I'm not the only one with a mysterious invite in my inbox. Hmm. Interesting spammy way to get eyeballs to your site, though just adding someone to your contact list would have been easier & less intrusive to us all.




Now, I check back after a day. There are over 620 members. Wow! One of the hottest in-things on MyBlogLog heh!??

Labels:

1 Comments:

At February 20, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogmemes is not responsible for the hack which occurred this weekend via the Mybloglog Web service.
The Mybloglog account of one of the network's members was pirated without his knowledge.
We do not yet know why or who might be responsible.
It is not in line with the network's code of ethics nor in its interest to proceed in this manner and serves only to discredit our community.
We are currently suffering many spam attacks on our Web sites, which we are combatting as much as possible.
We thank the mybloglog team for having now corrected this problem.

We are currently trying to answer all those who have written to us, to explain the situation to them.

Claude
co-founder of the blogmemes network

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home